Thursday, July 11, 2013

Waves with friends


My local has been producing some magical moments lately. From heart in mouth double overhead grinders to fun little peaks. The sun has been shining, the winds light offshore and the water not too cold. Could it get better?

Well, actually, yes. Yesterday I was sitting waiting for the next wave when I heard the distinctive sound of a dolphin breathing about 5 metres away. It's always good to hear them first rather than see them. Whenever I see them I have that split second 'shark' moment. Within a minute there were about 16 dolphins around, who were obviously there for exactly the reason I was, to catch waves. At one point there were about 8 within 3 metres of me, hardly moving, just waiting for the set to come.

They hung around for about 20 minutes. I would let them take the first wave of the set while I would go for the next (they tend to go for party waves). At one point I caught a wave, bottom turned, then cutback and looked down to see a dolphin under me, flying along. From feeling like I was flying along the wave I all of a sudden felt pretty slow.

They are truly majestic creatures, playful, athletic, inquisitive, magnificent!

Waves with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment